Frequently asked Questions
380 records found...
Displaying Page 1 of 19
Appeals are regulated by section 74 of the Act. Notice of Internal Appeal may be lodged by the requester who is not satisfied about the outcome of Section 18.

(1) application or deemed refusal. In the event the Notice of Internal Appeal fails or institution does not provide required response, requester may elect to approach the High Court for necessary relief or abandon the matter. The procedure with lodgment of Notice of Internal Appeal is that within 60 days from date of refusal of section 18(1) application or deemed refusal, Appeal must be lodged with the Information Officer of the Municipality. Appellant must provide reasons for submitting an appeal. In case of our Municipality a fee for internal appeal is deferred until determination is made on the merit of the Notice of Internal Appeal.

Request for access to information held by the Municipality is regulated by section 18 of the Act and can be requested by filling in the application form. Please click here to download the form.

Upon receipt of the requested information, Municipality has 30 days to assess and consider the application submitted by the requester. A non - refundable application fee of R35.00 is payable before processing the request. In the  event application is refused Information Officer must advise requester accordingly.
Each application received must be considered within 30 days from  date of receipt. In the event the application is not considered after 30 days it is automatically "deemed refusal".
In the event Information Officer grant requested  information further fee may be charged depending on the time spent in collating the requested information as well as production fee. In determining  applicable fee for the above, we are guided by the tariff set out in the regulations of the Act.
The application fee  as well as other costs related are payable to our banking account details which are attached hereto for ease of reference.
Bank: ABSA
Account name: Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality
Account number: 40 7953 3826
Branch code: 63 2005


Who must complete the ATTP application form?

The account holder must complete and sign the application, in person. Where the account holder has relocated due to illness a Power of Attorney may be provided to a family member to apply on behalf of the account holder.

What if the account holder is bedridden?

House visits are performed by officials. Contact tel 041-5061704 for an appointment.

What if the Account holder is unable to sign?

The representative must obtain all the documents and also present a Power of Attorney, granting them authority to sign on the account holder's behalf. This applies when the account holder is physically or mentally unable to act on behalf of themselves e.g. account holder suffers from mental illness. Furthermore, this will also apply when the account holder has relocated due to illness, provided a Power of Attorney is obtained.

What if the account holder has absconded?

A family member residing on the relevant property can apply on behalf of the account holder. Relevant family member must provide a valid SAPS case number to prove that the abscondment has been reported.

What is the maximum income for the entire household to qualify?

Total income of all occupants added together not to exceed the value of two (2) State Pensions. For 2021 this amount is: R1890 x 2 = R3780. Note that this value increases on 1 April of each year and therefore the max ceiling for ATTP qualification increases on 1 April of each year to stay in line with the State Pension increases approved by Government (Policy clause: 1.1.1)

What does total household mean?

All persons residing on the property, including persons living in rooms or shacks, erected on the same property.

How long are the ATTP benefits valid?

Benefits (monthly subsidy) are valid for a period of three (3) years from the date of approval on the relevant account, not the date of ATTP application form. All account-holders must re-apply before the three (3) years are up. A reminder, in the form of a letter, will be posted to the relevant household two (2) months before the expiration date. (Policy clause: 2.1.31)

Who must complete the ATTP application form when the account holder is deceased?

The Executor of the Estate, as stated on the Master of the High Court’s Letter of Authority must complete the ATTP application form. If the Executor is a Bank or Attorney, a letter from the Bank or Attorney providing authority to a household occupant is required to complete the application form. (Policy clause: 2.1.5)

Tenants can apply for a free 75 kWh electricity token. What is a tenant?

A tenant is an individual that pays rent to the property owner or resides on the property to look after the property.

Explain the compulsory three (3) year re-application process?

The ATTP Policy stipulates that an account-holder must re-apply for the ATTP subsidy every three (3) years.

  • A letter will be posted two (2) months before the expiry date to inform the relevant account-holder of the requirement to re-apply.
  • An e-mail will also be sent to the relevant Ward Councillor advising of the same requirement and providing the affected properties in the ward.
  • An sms message will be sent to the relevant account holder where a cell number is on record.

Can the free token be issued whilst the account holder waits for re-application approval?

The free token will be issued as long as the account holder reapplies before the expiry date. Once the ATTP is canceled due to no reapplication done before the expiry date, the free token will be stopped. Token will only be reinstated after the re-application is received and approved, not whilst waiting for verification.

Contact your nearest municipal Customer Care office in person, by telephone or by fax. 

Click here for a list of municipal enquiry offices

You can telephone the Customer Care Helpline at 041 506 5555. If you speak to someone in person or over the telephone, make sure that you record that person's name if he/she is unable to resolve your enquiry immediately: this will be of assistance should you need to follow up your enquiry. 

Make sure you have noted the person's name that assisted you (every Customer Care office has a notice with the name and contact details of the branch supervisor displayed in the payments hall). If you are still not satisfied, a Customer Care Sectional Head can be contacted. You can also phone tel 041-506 5333 to lodge your dissatisfaction.

If the enquiry staff member is unable to solve your query immediately, they will record your enquiry on a prescribed "enquiry sheet". It will be recorded in a register and forwarded to the relevant section or department that will be able to assist. The register is administered by a supervisor who will track the enquiry and ensure that you receive feedback. Once the enquiry is resolved and returned to Customer Care, you will be contacted through the means of your choice (telephone, fax, mail or e-mail) and informed of the result. 

Water Complaints - Call 0800 20 5050 and the operator will give you a reference number with regard to your complaint and direct you to the correct person, who will furnish you with a unique reference number. Electricity complaints – Call tel. 506 5555 (select option 2 on the menu) or contact the Electricity Faults Section on tel 041-374 4434.

No, the consumer cannot choose a pin number.  The computer randomly selects a computer-generated number. Also, the pin number is stored in the Billing System in a secured encrypted format. 

Yes, the IVR service can operate anywhere in the world because it’s an application that can be downloaded on any android phone.

Yes, but only if the owner gives him/her a Power of Attorney document and a certified copy of the owner’s ID.

Yes, but only the account balance can be requested by phoning 041 506 5533.

Consumers with more than one water or electricity meter route number can unfortunately not register for IVR meter–related services, but they can register to have their statements e-mailed or faxed.

All services offered by IVR require a pin number except for the e-mailing and faxing of statements. The pay-by-phone and voluntary meter readings service gets issued with a pin number to ensure confidentiality.  This pin no. can be changed anytime either via online (yourself) or by requesting a new one to be reprinted.

The various methods are listed below:-

1.   Online registration

2.  IVR Registration Form obtainable via multiple venues of Customer Care Offices

3.  Contacting the Call Centre on telephone 041-506 5555

4.  Requesting documentation via the IVR Help Desk menu on 041 -506 5518

SMS template for faxed statement to 31151 or phone 041 506 5518

Acc 600000000000 fax 0410000000

Registered pay by phone only


Acc 600000000000 bal

Steps to follow:

Type Acc, leave a space, type in your 12 digit municipal account number without leaving any spaces between the digits, and then leave a space after the 12 digit municipal account number and type in bal


Sms template below to 31151 or phone in to 041-506 5528

Water Entry

Acc 600000000000 mtr w 123456789


Acc 600000000000 mtr e 123456789

To purchase prepaid electricity you can sms 31151 or phone 041 506 5524.

Acc 600000000000 mid 001 pin 00000 amt 1000

Within 30 seconds (on average), you should get an SMS response containing your Token Number, Receipt No and Amount spent. If you do not receive a response please phone (041) 506 5524 and verify the last transaction or token purchased.


Using a Touch Screen?
Click below for instructions to fix Touch/Swipe issues experienced in Microsoft Edge.

Show me the fix! No thanks
This might take a while depending on your connectivity.
Please be patient while we search the entire site & all its modules for you...